I was recently surprised by an email in my inbox requesting I participate in a meme. A meme? I said. Hmmm. What is a meme? Clearly all this education I’ve been getting is sadly incomplete. Apparently a meme is “a unit of cultural information, such as a cultural practice or idea, that is transmitted verbally or by repeated action from one mind to another,” and comes from the Greek mimÄ“ma, something imitated, from mimeisthai, to imitate. Sounds suspiciously like a chain letter to me- wonder about the etymology of THAT phrase. (See, I know fancy words, just not meme.) Anyway, because I “know” my nominator, San Bei Ji I thought I’d play along. I’ve always been a sucker for word games and those silly online personality quizzes. *note: Aug 27th: I’ve been re-tagged by Gluten Free Organics- I almost feel popular, suddenly. Tee hee. Anyway, thank you for the invite, Jean my fellow Washingtonian. Here is my meme, just so you can know all about me… Or at least, eight random things about me.*
The rules for this meme are:
1. Let others know who tagged you.
2. Players start with 8 random facts about themselves.
3. Those who are tagged should post these rules and their 8 random facts.
4. Players should tag 8 other people and notify them they have been tagged.
Eight random facts.
1)Because this is a food blog, let me begin with the flavors I hate most. The worst dish I could ever imagine would include celery, hazelnuts, and boiled cauliflower. Please don’t take this as a challenge to make those things yummy- I’m sure any discriminating oven would as soon internally combust creating a black hole in its path as involve itself with those loathsome ingredients. I know I certainly would.
2)I love all animals (spiders are not animals, I will note) and have had
Beta fish (Sirtis and, er other less memorable ones), a slew of short lived feeder fish, goldfish
a veritable warren of bunnies (including the much loved house rabbits George (a girl, who did follow me home, forcing me to keep her), Hazel Moon, and Pandora (a girl, who never quite knew what she thought of me)
a Dwarf Hamster named Scampers (who had sharp little teeth but meant well, as far as she could remember from one second to the next)
and cats (Shy Violet (I was 8 ), Marmalade (the cat formerly known as Snuggles), and the current kings of the castle Ra and Neko)
3)I had never been outside of the country until the year 2000, at which point I darted off to Vancouver, Canada to celebrate the auspicious New Year.
4)After that I fled to Europe, lived in Japan for two years, visited India, and honeymooned in Mexico and Jamaica. And yes, it was just one honeymoon. We like our travel.
5)8 things is really quite a lot, isn’t it?
5) Just kidding. Well, eight things really are quite a lot, but I won’t wimp out quite so fast. I’ve been a cat for Halloween twice. Once a black cat, and once a white tiger striped house cat. I suppose they don’t really exist, but wouldn’t it be cool if they did? My friend’s REAL cat didn’t know quite what to make of me.
6) I love the ocean, but my name “Seamaiden” is inspired by my middle name. I played around with the name LuneArtemis before settling with Seamaiden. It’s been a long time since I settled on an identity, though…
7)We lived in an apartment above a Toyota Rent-a-car in Chiba City, Japan and so now every time I see Toyota Rent-a-car (especially when I’m in Japan) I feel like I’m coming home.
8) We had a white car named Snowflake in Japan- it was a lovely used Nissan sports car with a very pretty radio that we bought for the same amount of money as an ugly four door car that was supposed to be more sensible. Happily our gamble paid off and we were actually able to sell the car before leaving Japan to another foreign couple that lived above Starbucks in Roppongi. (Yes, that would be my ideal life.)
And now… who should I tag? Hmmm… I’m going to wuss out and just tag six people, as some of my targets have already been tagged. Darned small gluten free community, anyway. ;)
I should really get busy and notify them, but this post has been languishing unloved in drafts for entirely too long and there’s no time like the present to post it! ;)