German Red Cabbage
* 1 medium head red cabbage, cored and sliced
* 2 large tart apples, peeled and sliced
* 1 medium sweet onion, sliced and separated into rings
* 1 1/2 cups water
* 1 cup cider vinegar
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1 tablespoon butter
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 6 whole peppercorns
* 2 whole allspice
* 2 whole cloves
* 1 bay leaf
* 2 teaspoons cornstarch
* 2 teaspoons cold water
1. In a Dutch oven, toss cabbage, apples and onion. Add water, vinegar, sugar, butter and salt. Place the peppercorns, allspice, cloves and bay leaf on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and stir with kitchen string to form a bag. Add to Dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 hours.
2. Discard spice bag. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir in cabbage mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
Don’t overcook! Recipe is tart but delightful as a side dish.