Tofu and Broccoli with Peanut Sauce
1/2 cup unprocessed peanut butter
1/2 cup hot water
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons tamari
2 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2. In a small saucepan, whisk together the peanut butter and hot water until uniform in consistency.
3. Whisk in the remaining ingredients.
4. Set aside.
6. Cut off the bottom half-inch of the broccoli stems.
7. Shave off the tough outer skins of the stalks with a sharp paring knife or a vegetable peeler.
8. Cut the stalks diagonally into thin slices.
9. Coarsely chop the flowerettes.
10. Set aside.
11. Begin heating the large skillet.
12. When it is hot add 1 tbsp of the oil.
13. Add half the garlic.
14. Salt lightly.
15. Sauté over medium heat for 1 minute, then add the tofu chunks.
16. Turn the heat up a little, and stir-fry the tofu for 5-8 minutes.
17. Transfer it, including whatever liquid it might have expressed, to the saucepanful of peanut sauce.
18. Mix together gently.
19. Wipe the skillet with a paper towel, and return it to the stove to begin heating once again.
20. Add the remaining garlic.
21. Salt lightly.
22. Add the onions, and some black pepper.
23. Sauté, stirring frequently, over medium heat, until the onions are soft.
24. On another burner, begin heating the peanut-tofu sauce on a low heat.
25. It shouldn’t actually cook-it only needs to be warmed through.
26. Add the broccoli and the chopped peanuts to the skillet.
27. Add 2-3 tbsp tamari and stir-fry over medium-high heat until the broccoli is bright green and just tender.
28. Pour the heated peanut sauce over the sauté.
29. Toss everything gently until everything is coated with everything else.
30. Serve over long-grained white or brown rice (basmati is good).