Indian Badam Milk Ice Cream Recipe
1 1/4 cups 2% Milk
1 tsp cardamom seeds
4 large egg yolks
6 tbsp sugar
1 tsp cornstarch
1 1/4 cups Heavy Cream
1/2 cup almonds
1/2 cup pistachios
2 to 3 tsp. rose water
1. Pour the milk into a heavy based saucepan, add the cardamom and bring to the boil. Remove from heat and leave for 15 minutes to allow the flavours to infuse. Strain out cardamon and bring the milk back to the boil.
2. Whisk the egg yolks, sugar and cornstarch in a bowl until the mixture is thick and foamy.
3. Gradually pour in the hot milk, whisking constantly. Grind your nuts to a paste with a little milk and add to the warm milk with the rose water. Return the mixture to the pan and cook over a gentle hear, stirring all the time
4. When the custard thickens and is smooth, pour it back into the bowl. Cool it then chill.
5. By Using and Ice Cream Maker: *Stir the cream into the custard and churn the mixture until thick (follow instructions on your ice cream maker). You will probably need to put in the freezer to firm up for a few hours after churning, unless you have a better ice cream maker than mine.
*If I were to make this again, i would try adding the nut paste LATER, possibly either to the cream at the end OR at the last 5 minutes of stirring in the ice cream maker.
Also, I like the flavors, but the milk was a bit rich for me. I was afraid a lower fat milk would result in icy ice cream, but think I’d try it next time..